This post was written by Meron Tarekegn and Sophia Chan, third year medical students at Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine.
The CDC has recommended that everyone practices social distancing. As a result, many large social gatherings, such as concerts, graduations, and birthday parties have been canceled. But even though you might find yourself stuck at home, there are still plenty of things you can do online. Here are just a few free resources to check out to make the time go by faster.
- Do you have a bunch of ingredients yet you’re not sure what you can make with it? Well, look no further. Supercook is a website that allows you to input the ingredients you have at home and it will give you ideas for recipes for free.
- Tired of making your own food and looking to switch it up while practicing social distancing? Many restaurants are now operating as take-out only, and some even have free delivery! For example, Chipotle, Del Taco, Chili’s, Blaze Pizza, Domino’s Pizza, Denny’s, and Taco Bell all offer free delivery for customers.
- There are also many food delivery services that are offering free delivery. UberEats has waived delivery fees for all independent restaurants (aka non-chain restaurants in the area). Postmates is also offering $100 delivery fee credit for 7 days with code “SAVE100” and free delivery for 7 days with code “FREE7”.
- Though many zoos have closed due to the coronavirus, you can still explore what the zoo has to offer! The Monterey Bay Aquarium, the San Diego Zoo, and the Georgia Aquarium are some zoos that have live streams of beluga whales, penguins, sea otters, and more. It’s like they’re right there next to you!
- Ever wanted to visit the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Musée d’Orsay in Paris, or the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam? Google Arts and Culture has partnered with over 2500 museums and galleries around the world so that you can visit and view the incredible art collections from the comfort of your own home.
- You can also take a virtual tour to explore the tranquil beauty of national parks. Check out The Hidden Worlds of the National Parks, Yellowstone National Park, and Yosemite National Park!
- Many artists are holding live concerts on Instagram to help entertain those stuck at home. John Legend, Chris Martin (from Coldplay), and Charlie Puth have all recorded performances, which you can watch on YouTube! Be on the lookout for more concerts from amazing artists!
- The Metropolitan Opera will be streaming free encore performances of the company’s Life in HD! series every day at 7:30PM ET. Each performance will be available for 20 hours. Whether you’re an avid opera lover or you’ve never seen a show, this is definitely something you don’t want to miss!
- Just because your gym is closed for safety reasons doesn’t mean that you can’t continue to work out. For those who enjoy doing yoga or are looking to try something new, DownDog is a great app that allows you to design a session that fits your needs. Though this app usually costs money, DownDog is providing free access for everyone until May 1st. For students (K-12 & college) as well as teachers with .edu emails, they are extending the free access until July 1st. Don’t fret if you don’t have a .edu email, they will work with you to provide you a membership.
- If you’re looking to switch up your workout routine, check out Fitonapp! This app has various home workouts that require no equipment. This app allows you to build a personalized work-out and you can even invite up to 5 of your friends to join in on your program.
- Looking for a more structured workout? Or perhaps need a little more motivation to work out? Planet Fitness is offering workouts that you can join from the comfort of your home. You can access these sessions live on Facebook daily at 7pm ET or access them anytime on Planet Fitness’ YouTube Channel. These 30 minute workouts are meant to get everyone moving and remain active.
We hope these resources have been helpful. If you have any other topics you would like us to discuss or any other online resources you have enjoyed, feel free to comment below. Stay healthy & stay safe!